Monday, July 20, 2009

i'm leavin' on a jet plane

I'm in the process of doing research for our long October holiday. We have about three weeks off, and I want to make the most of my time.

As of right now, Alyssa, Mariela and I are planning to fly into Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, work our way up to Hanoi, cross the border and spend several days in Laos, and then spend the remainder of our time in northern Thailand.

There's so much preparation to do. We have to find out the process for Vietnamese and Laotian visas, choose cities and towns to visit, find cheap (but clean) accommodation, figure out the best sights to see, find transportation, and make a budget for it all.

Five days of traveling into, throughout, and home from Cambodia cost us around $250. Not bad, considering we flew home and did a $50 four-wheeling tour.

I'm aiming to keep a three week vacation under $1000. Is it possible? We shall see.

If anyone has advice on Vietnam, Laos, or northern Thailand, do share. In the meantime, I'll be reading everything I can find.

1 comment: