Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Wednesdays are monk days at school. I don't like monk days.

Monk day means a monk takes the air-conditioned classroom (the dancing room) I normally use on small group days. I, in turn, have to teach in the sixth grade non-aircon classrooms with chalkboards for the first and second periods.
The dancing room is free during third period while the monks eat lunch. But more often than not, the desks and chairs aren't set up. When the monk teaches there, the kids sit on the floor.

Dragging 20 clunky desks and chairs in from the balcony is an annoying and unneccessary waste of class time. I didn't want to deal with the hassle today. I asked Nummon if it would be OK to stay in the non-aircon classrooms for all three periods.

We crossed wires somewhere, because Sukjai came to my third period class, visibly annoyed, and asked where I normally teach. I explained the desk problem and he told me the sixth grade needed the classroom I was in. I'm not sure why he waited until I was 10 minutes into the lesson to boot me out, but I guess that's beside the point.

I apologized and told the kids to stand up, grab their books, and go to the dancing room.

I followed my students downstairs and Sukjai appeared again to tell me we could use the meeting room. He waited until half the class had run to the other building to tell me this, naturally.

I shook my head and walked into the meeting room. There were no desks set up there, either, so I told him the kids could sit on the floor. I just wanted to get on with the lesson.

He asked how many students I had. I told him I didn't know (Another golden opportunity to display my incompetence. Goodie!). He recruited some kids to help him haul plastic desks and chairs in from next door. Again, an unneccessary drain on time.

One of the desks was full of water (?!), which sloshed all over the floor as a kid struggled to set it upright. All I wanted was to finish going through the can/could worksheet, but I stood there, helpless, as students trickled in and Sukjai went to find the mop.

No comments:

Post a Comment