Tuesday, January 19, 2010

shocking!

I'm already bracing myself for the severe reverse culture shock I expect to experience when I go home to my tiny, northeast Texas hometown in a couple of months. I actually get a sort of panicked feeling in my chest when I think about it.

In a nutshell, and at the risk of sounding like a cosmopolitan snob, I'm worried that Greenville won't be nearly stimulating enough. You can find anything and everything you want here in Bangkok.

Amazing international cuisine? Check.
Movies, bowling alleys, and bookshops? Check.
Coffee shops, symphony concerts, public parks, cultural events, festivals, sky bars, ice skating rinks, amusement parks, shopping, historical sites, easy access to beaches, bars with nightly live music...

And I mustn't leave out the incessant confusion, the thrill of being able to read a Thai word written in the few characters I know, the stares, and the adventures in navigating various modes of transportation including, but not limited to, the skytrain, taxis, public buses, tuk-tuks, and canal boats.

Will someone please remind me why I'm leaving?

In the meantime, I'm trying to drum up a bout of homesickness with -- what else? -- a country music binge.

2 comments:

  1. I can think of one thing that's not in Bangkok...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, after reading all those classroom/teacher/supervisor conversations, and to say nothing about Thai monks, just come back to your TX teenie town and defrag for the next adventure! observations from a mom of four, grandma of almost five, and a friend of Miss Newton, and an admirer of your spirit. Make an adventure on any continent.

    ReplyDelete