Sunday, January 17, 2010

crime and punishment

I finished giving the speaking quizzes a few minutes early in my second period, and had nothing to do but mill about and watch Nummon teach.

Suddenly, she stopped and walked over to one of the boys. Standing over his desk, she reached for his backpack and proceeded to calmly shake its contents out all over the floor.

I watched, mouth agape.

Even more surprising -- the student didn't bat an eye. No tears. No pouting. His books, papers, and pencils lay in a heap on the floor for the rest of the period.

She came up to me after class and told me the student never turns in his homework or brings his books to class. She decided to "look for his homework."

3 comments:

  1. I just wrote in my blog about your blog--thought Id give you the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would find that frightening. Your -- supervisor? coworker? who is this chick? -- is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy - Sweet!

    Alyssa - She's my Thai teaching counterpart. I guess that makes her my immediate supervisor.

    She picked up a kid's backpack again today and started rifling through it, looking for a book. I stopped teaching and just stared, waiting to see if she'd do it again.

    ReplyDelete