Saturday, June 27, 2009

they're called strangers because they're strange

Mariela, Alyssa, and I spent our day on Thong Lo Street, visiting wedding gown shops.

Around lunchtime, we were standing on a sidewalk, looking for a restaurant Mariela had heard about, when an American walks by. He stops, turns around, and asks us where we're from, shaking our hands all the while. He asks if we've seen the movie Bangkok Dangerous, starring Nicolas Cage. We say we've heard of it.

He tells us he played the part of Michigan in the movie, which meant absolutely nothing to me. Then he goes on about how he used the money he made from the film to purchase some apartments in Bangkok that were opening in November.

"There'll be a big opening party. You girls should come. Nicolas Cage will be there; it'll be great PR for you girls." (Great PR? What??) Then he asks for our phone numbers. Excuses are made, and I ask what working with Nicolas Cage was like. Apparently, he's swell.

Anyway, this man, Steve, asks our names, shakes our hands again, and writes down his Bangkok cell phone number. He tells us he's heading back to San Francisco soon, but that he'll be back in Thailand for the party. He tells us to call him in November, and that we'll be invited.

I checked IMDb when we got back, and he's legitimate. His name is Steve Baldocchi. I hope he makes it big, so I can say I met him in Bangkok once.

It was, by far, one of the most random things that has happened to me since I've been here.

1 comment:

  1. Blade's dad also says Nicholas Cage is great to work with, so that's the stunt man's perspective. (I wish he were as great to watch ...)

    ReplyDelete