Sunday, June 14, 2009

church

We visited a different church this morning. We wanted to go to the 9:00 service, so we left at 8:00, figuring that would leave us plenty of time. The church's Web site said they provide shuttle service from the Asok metro stop. Easy enough, we thought.

But, no. We got to the metro stop and stood on the curb, searching for vans with the church's name on it. We didn't see anything, and the service was starting in 10 minutes. It wasn't far, according to Mariela's map. We decided to walk it.

And we did walk. In the wrong direction. For about 25 minutes. By the time we figured it out, we were already late for the service. We turned around and got going the right way, opting to wait around for the 11:15 service once we arrived.

The church is looking for a head pastor right now, so someone else gave the sermon. It was okay enough, until he made a comment that went something like this:

Righteousness is a church word. It's a theological term that we use all the time. Now, I don't have a seminary degree; I'm not a professional and I don't know what the professors would say, but what I think it means is doing the right thing.

I didn't want to listen to him anymore after that. The way he said it reminded me of what Mark Noll talks about in The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind. I don't want to attend a church where academic understanding of the Bible is talked about so dismissively.

Another factor might be the hassle of using the BTS to get to the church. That could get expensive. I wish there was a church within a block or two of where I live. It would be much easier to get involved.

After church, a group of 11 Baylor folks went to eat at this Middle Eastern restaurant nearby. I had vegetable curry and naan bread, and it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment