Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hanoi: Day Two

We saw the outside of the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum today. It wasn't open to the public; I think Uncle Ho is in Russia for preservation right now. But the uber-trippy Ho Chi Minh Museum nearby was up and running.

The third floor was a bewildering assortment of modern art exhibits meant to represent Ho Chi Minh's life and achievements and the progress of Vietnam. Words can't describe it. I'll try to post pictures when I'm back in Bangkok.

We saw the One Pillar Pagoda -- unimpressive, but we had to take pictures since it's the only pagoda we've seen so far.

We had lunch and saw the water puppet show in the afternoon. It was weird, but fun. This particular form of puppetry originated in northern Hanoi, and it's a big tourist attraction.

In the afternoon, we shopped and shopped. I love looking at the handicrafts here, but it makes me sad that I can't buy everything I see.

We had a wonderfully delicious meal of chicken pho (a rice noodle soup) and fried rice by the street.

When we returned to the hotel, Mariela and I started talking to the guy at the front desk about the bus to Halong City, where we wanted to catch a boat to go around the bay and visit Cat Ba Island. He ended up talking us into a 2-day, $30 tour. I've read very mixed reviews about these budget Halong Bay tours, so it might be a total debacle. We'll know tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment