Monday, August 31, 2009

dirt and worms

English Camp approaches swiftly, and I think all the American Prathom teachers are dreading it. Mariela and Simone have both had nightmares about it - no lie.

Our theme is English Camp-Out, and I'm in charge of the snack station.

I decided Dirt and Worms would be a great idea - it's a typical summer snack that American kids love, and it'll sure beat the heck out of the neon-colored, flavorless gelatinous noodles floating in coconut milk that so often make up the school cafeteria's dessert.

I soon learned that grocery stores here don't stock the just-add-cold-milk-and-refrigerate instant chocolate pudding. Where's Bill Cosby when I need him most?

Undeterred, I sought a homemade pudding recipe. I found a relatively simple one that had been tested by some girl who wrote a blog post about it. Good enough, right? Never mind that I've never made pudding from scratch before in my life.

Several times since the first English Camp brainstorming session in July, I've thought to myself, "Self, what the hell were you thinking when you agreed to make homemade chocolate pudding for 120 kids?!"

I still haven't come up with a good answer for that question.

3 comments:

  1. How many pounds of puddng do 120 Thai kids eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know how much it will weigh. I'm thinking each kid will get a 1/2 - 3/4 cup serving. I really have no idea. I've never done something like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you can find something online at a cooking site to help you figure this out. The next question is, can you get chocolate cake? (Doesn't Dirt and Worms also involve chocolate cake?)

    ReplyDelete